Inclusion in outdoors matters. Our programs currently include:
Essential Footwear Initiative
While working for a Wildlife documentary production house in Bangalore, a city of over 11 million people, Rupa Saumil stumbled upon urban lakes, parks, and many unexpected pockets of nature. She also met several local children on streets who were barefoot because they couldn’t afford the footwear. For the most part, this limited them to the city’s streets and sidewalks. In order for the young voices of today and the future to be stewards of the natural world and make eco-friendly choices, there has to be a choice available for them to make. For many, the choices just don’t exist. These reflections inspired her to begin with the very basic outdoor essential and create our Footwear initiative.
- For Children – Through the donation of shoes, boots, sneakers, cleats, and other essential footwear, our program is contributing to the health and safety of at-risk children. We are helping them to participate in sports and explore their worlds as well.
- For Partners – Charitable organizations in India and elsewhere are widening their reach by working with us. Together, we are making sure as many children as possible have the right shoes on their feet. And by partnering with us, members of the business community are taking part in one of the best CSR activities in India and beyond.
- For the Environment – When they donate used footwear and overstock, partner organizations are helping to reduce the massive waste that occurs when shoes are sent to landfills. An added bonus is those beneficiaries who feel empowered through outdoor activities and experiences are more likely to become citizens who actively want to protect and take care of the environment!
How are we doing this?
We are building a capacity model through our pilot tests:
- In July 2020, we partnered with GreenSole to fund and donate essential slippers to barefooted children in the village of Malvani, Malad West (Mumbai). The footwear would help the children to walk long distances preventing them from diseases caused by unprotected feet.
- In August 2020, we co-partnered with Anthill Creations’ existing social impact work in “Bring Play Back” to provide an entire school of 161 children in Kanjurpalaya (Bangalore) with essential slippers. In this pilot, Anthill helped survey need to identify supply, demand, and distribution nuances for the beneficiaries, and the dependencies that need to be planned for scaling efforts.
- In September 2020, we were excited to go one step beyond our footwear initiatives to announce a pilot giveaway we sponsored with XtremeTrekkers, an outdoor adventure company, who will take the lucky winners on a guided hike in the Western Ghats mountain range. We did this to continue growing our outdoor community and raise our profile.
It is not uncommon for talented young athletes in the developing world to compete barefoot. We’ve begun sponsorship discussions and pilot programs.
Going beyond our footwear initiatives, we plan to host expeditions and camps for youth enthusiastic about outdoor-inspired experiences or careers.
In September 2020, we were excited to announce a pilot giveaway we sponsored with XtremeTrekkers, who will take the lucky winners on a guided hike in the Western Ghats mountain range. We did this to continue growing our outdoor community and raise our profile.